It is currently Fri 29 Mar, 2024 4:27 am

Water Resources of the City - Thirumanimuthar & Lakes

View active topics

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 1:37 pm   

Dear Members,

We have very good water resources.

In open street i was mapping the course of river Thirumanimuthar, to my surprise the river orginates in Yercaud joins to Cauvery near Mohanur.

I am aware that it starts from Yercaud foot hills, but never know it joins with Cauvery

It starts from Yercaud foot hills and runs down to Cauvery through the heart of the city.

Such a good river is completely polluted and now we have only drainage. The project going on for Thirumanimuthar is just killing the beds of the river with concrete cements.

They could have very well stopped the mixing the drainage into this river stream first. Along with under ground drainage project, the could surely implemented i.e separated the drainage and river.

Now more than 150crores are spent in this project it is just used a public toilet in Fort area!

And we have very good lakes surrounding the city. These should be protected and we should review these rivers and lakes.

Salem gets rain from both North west and South East monsoon, surely restoring the river and lakes will recharge the grond water and there will not be much need to depend on Mettur -Cauvery water always.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:19 pm   
Administrator

Arul,
if u closely watch its path, it will first end up into a lake near mallasamudram, then overflow and then again run to mohanur.

one important fact is, when it reaches the mallasamudram lake, the water is used as a drinking water for nearby villages, when i asked a person from that area, he said, the water gets purified by the time it reaches Salem to Mallasamudram.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 8:44 pm   

Logesh,

On its course there are many lakes. Even Kannakurichi lake is just 0.5KM from the river.

There is a lake near Attayampati too.

Hope you may know the about the floods in this river in 1970's!!

That time river was too good and i heard it even navigable at that time. Like how Coumn got spoiled in Chennai, the planners spoiled the river in Salem too.

Even though they get clean water at Mallasamudram, we should try our best to bring back the river inside the city. The river stinks till Uttamacholapram from Ponamapet.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 7:06 pm   

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 8:41 pm   
Administrator

I seriously wonder, why this rain is so rational.
it doesn't pour in, where it has to pour.
Its pouring like cats and dogs in Chennai, No Rain in Agricultural areas. Even if it rains, it rains in Salem Urabn areas not in rasipuram, attur or thalaivasal, which are nearly drought areas.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:31 am   
Salethukku Puthusu

I appreciate your efforts to know about the river.
I am a salemite and my father told me that he used to take bath in the river , but it is not now, 70 -75 years back.
I am interested to save river project if any body joins me to save water sources in salem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm   
Administrator

Hello Laxmi..
welcome to SJ forum.
We already have a forum called SCIDSF(Salem City INfracstructure and Developemnt Seekers forum), we are already into several development initiatives done to our city, and more in pipeline. Probably you can join with us there and do something.